This part of these web pages is being reconstructed. The places of interest you can find in Prague 7 will be divided into four categories (architecture, parks, sacred buildings and various). The articles and pictures concerning these places will be published soon.
St. Clement Church Area
St. Clement Church is located on the border between Skalecká and Kostelní Streets. The originally Romanesque church was rebuilt in the 13th century. After a fire in 1603, it was erected anew in 1659-1677 as an early Baroque building, comprising some early Gothic elements, e.g. the broken portal. The area includes a cemetery, a bordering wall with a recessed chapel and a gate, a statue of St. John of Nepomuk and a plague column. The attribute of St. Clement is the anchor contained in the coat-of-arms of Prague 7 City District.
A neo-Renaissance single-storey building with elevated ground floor. Erected in 1863 acc. to the design of architect Ignác Ullmann in the Italian suburban villa style as a tourist restaurant. In 2001, it was reinstated acc. to its original plans. In the building there are two restaurants, a coffeehouse, stylish lounges and a large garden with a summerhouse.
Royal Game Park
The Game Park was established in the first half of the 14th century, during the Hussite wars it was damaged, and renewed in 1536-1548 and in 1559. Under the reign of Rudolph II, a pond was erected here, fed by water from the Vltava River via the Rudolph Tunnel. In 1742, the Game Park was damaged by the French armies, and its renewal was still being carried out under the reign of Mary Theresa. In 1804, the Game Park was opened to the public and it serves as a popular recreational place for Prague citizens. The Royal Game Park comprises the Vice-regent’s Summerhouse, the gamekeeper’s lodge, Royal Hall, a former farm building, the greenhouse and the gate to the Royal Game Park; there is also a new building - the Planetarium
An underground adit - it was tunnelled in 1581-1593 between the present Kpt. Jaroše quay and the Royal Game Park to feed the pond in the Royal Game Park. The adit of ca 1000 m length was tunnelled from both ends and from five shafts at the same time. The erection of Rudolph Tunnel meant the implementation of a then extraordinary idea and thanks to later renewals, this remarkable technical structure has been preserved till today. Exploitation for its original purpose - supplying water to ponds in the Royal Game Park - is being prepared. The adit is occasionally made accessible to the general public.
Prague Exhibition Area
The Old Exhibition Area was erected for the Anniversary Exhibition in 1891 and further extended for the Ethnographic Exhibition in 1895. The core of the area is formed by the Industrial Palace central exhibition space. At the grand opening, its parts were formed by the contemporary ceremonial electric lighting installed by František Křižík, a giant spotlight installed on the Industrial Palace spire and a lit fountain. Within the framework of the Anniversary Exhibition, the first electric tramway in Bohemia was brought to the Exhibition Area from Letná Gardens. After the exhibition, interest from the public waned and in 1902, the tramline ceased running. In 1952-1955, the area was adapted as the Park of Culture and Recreation of Julius Fučík, now called the Prague Exhibition Area. It also comprises the Lapidarium (depository of historical statues) and the Pavilion of the Battle at Lipany Cyclorama.
Trade Fair Palace
A Functionalist building from 1925-1928, acc. to the design brief, it concerned a trade fair centre with two exhibition palaces, a hotel, residential house and office building. At its time it was the biggest reinforced concrete building of its type in the world, moreover it was one of the first official buildings built in the just emerging Functionalist style. It served its purpose till 1939, when it was taken over by the German authorities and used, together with the adjacent area, also as an assembly place for Jews before they were transported to concentration camps. After the war, its function as a fairground was renewed, however, the last fair took place in 1949. In 1951, the palace was refurbished by minor adaptations into an office building. In 1974, the place was destroyed by fire, part of the floors collapsing. After a long period of considerations on whether and for what purposes to reconstruct the palace, in 1978 a decision was taken to reconstruct it for the needs of the National Gallery in Prague. Operation was started in 1995.